"Working for consumers and investors who have suffered a financial loss or wrong has been very appealing to me. Doing what I can to rectify some of the inequities in the lives of individuals or groups of people is gratifying, particularly in very large, complex cases. . . . I also enjoy cases that are not just about the recovery of monies lost but that also play a role in changing practices that companies engage in that are unfair to consumers and investors.”
—Ariana J. Tadler, Lawdragon 500
In the often opaque and self-interested world of corporate decision-making, Ariana J. Tadler is an antidote — a “leading light” helping individual consumers and institutional investors expose corporate misconduct and secure multimillion-and multibillion-dollar recoveries. A nationally recognized member of the plaintiffs’ bar, Ariana has 20+ years of experience litigating and managing the full spectrum of complex securities and consumer class actions, including high-profile, fast–paced cases.
Ariana is also renowned for being one of the nation’s leading authorities on electronic discovery in plaintiffs’ litigation — an area she and Milberg helped pioneer. She chairs Milberg’s E-Discovery Practice Group, has authored numerous publications on E-Discovery, and is regularly invited to speak on a variety of litigation- and discovery–related topics to educate the bench and bar. Ariana is actively involved in the development of the law and best practices, including amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and various pilot programs.
Preeminent rated (Martindale Hubbell’s highest rating) lawyer, Ariana has been recognized by several prominent legal industry rating organizations, including 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
as “a leading light in the plaintiffs’ Bar” and a “fearless and tenacious” advocate who wins praise for her in-depth e-discovery knowledge and efficient approach. Clients also praise her ability to “navigate all the e-discovery issues.” For four years in a row, Lawdragon
included her in its select list of 500 Leading Lawyers in America, describing her as “one of the nation’s most talented plaintiff-side securities litigators” and crediting her with building Milberg’s “team of lawyers and technologists armed with the necessary hardware and software to provide a solid and reliable service.” Benchmark Litigation
has also included her in its 2014 Top 250 Women Litigators in the U.S. and she was named in Super Lawyers 2014 “Top 50: Women Lawyers” in the New York Metro-area.REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
HONORS & RECOGNITIONS
- Steering Committee, In re Target Corporation Customer Data Security Breach Litigation. Representing consumers in a class action accusing Target Corp. of failing to protect customers from a massive data breach during the holiday shopping season.
- Interim Lead Counsel, Frito-Lay North America, Inc. “All Natural” Litigation, In re ConAgra Foods, Inc., Bevans v. General Mills, Inc., and In re Kellogg v. General Mills. Representing a class of consumers in a series of cases involving the alleged misrepresentation of GMO food products as “all natural”; the case involves front-line legal issues, cutting-edge discovery negotiations and complex disputes and motions.
- Lead Counsel, Ener1 v. PricewaterhouseCoopers. Recently represented an alternative energy company in its claims of negligence against one of the Big 4 accounting firms. Case has settled on confidential terms.
- Co-lead Counsel, Ironworkers District Council of Philadelphia & Vicinity Retirement & Pension Plan v. Andreotti. Representing a pension fund in a stockholder derivative action brought on behalf of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company seeking relief due to the former and present members of DuPont’s board of directors’ and executive officers’ breaches of fiduciary duties, misrepresentations, and corporate waste relating to its infringement of Monsanto’s patent, which resulted in a trial and $1 billion judgment and involved an order for sanctions.
- Special Discovery Counsel, Republic of Colombia, et al. v. Diageo North America, Inc. Represented the government of Colombia, serving as Special Discovery Counsel, in its pursuit of claims alleging smuggling and illegal sales of alcohol by several international companies for violation of United States RICO statutes and other common law claims. Engagement encompassed identifying relevant information responsive to defendants’ requests, confirming and guiding preservation practices, and interviewing and collecting data from more than 100 custodians in 23 Colombian Departments (Colombia’s equivalent to our States in the U.S.). Team also reviewed and produced data in the ongoing litigation, and was tasked with ensuring compliance with the various privacy laws of Colombia and the United States with regard to personal data, controlled data and the transfer of sensitive information — all hot topics in the area of E-Discovery today.
- Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel (court-appointed), Lead Counsel and Executive Committee Member, Initial Public Offering Securities Litigation. Represented investors in 310 securities class actions alleging a market manipulation scheme involving hundreds of initial public offerings and 55 prominent defendant investment banks. Through aggressive litigation, plaintiffs’ counsel obtained a settlement totaling $586 million. This case is notable for the unique strategies that were employed to manage this mammoth litigation. Milberg was at the forefront of dealing with complex discovery issues and crafted innovative tools to streamline the process. As a member of the court-appointed Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee and as a court-appointed liaison counsel, Ariana oversaw the efforts of approximately 60 plaintiffs’ firms in combating some of the most well-respected defense firms in the nation. The case was so large and included such extensive discovery that it required its own off-site headquarters, including approximately 100 personnel from various firms dedicated solely to the prosecution of the matter and supervised and managed, in substantial part, by Milberg personnel.
- Lead Counsel, In re MicroStrategy Securities Litigation, one of three cases litigated in the Eastern District of Virginia (a/k/a the “Rocket Docket”) in less than four years. Negotiated settlements valued at more than $150 million.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ENGAGEMENTS
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- ALM: 2014 Women Leaders in the Law (2014)
- Benchmark Litigation: Star (2015)
- Benchmark Top 250 Women Litigator (2014)
- Benchmark Plaintiffs Litigation: New York Litigation Star (2011-2014)
- Chambers Global Guide: Leading Lawyers in E-Discovery (2015)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2014)
- Lawdragon 500 (2009-13)
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent (highest rating)
- Super Lawyers “Top 50 Women Attorneys in New York Metro Area” (2014-2015)
- Super Lawyers (2010-14)
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation (2012)
- MFY, Partners in Justice Award (2010)
- Development School for Youth Honoree (2013)
- Women's Venture Fund Highest Leaf Award (2011)
- Manhasset Lacrosse Hall of Fame (2008)
- AVENUE Insider Legal Elite New York City’s Top Women Securities Law Attorneys (2011-2012)
- American Association for Justice, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Cardozo Data Law Initiative, Board of Advisors
- Bloomberg BNA, eDiscovery Board of Advisors
- Federal Bar Council, Member
- Georgetown University Law Center Advanced E‑Discovery Institute, Advisory Board and Planning Committee Member
- International Bar Association, Member
- MFY Legal Services Inc., Board Member and Past Chair (2008-2010)
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Member
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member
- The New York Inn of Court, Vice President
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- New York Women’s Bar Association, Member
- The Sedona Conference® (the leading “think-tank” on e-discovery), Board of Directors; Chair Emeritus (and Past Chair, 2007-2012), Steering Committee for Working Group 1 on Electronic Document Retention and Production
- Seventh Circuit, Electronic Discovery Pilot Program
- Southern District of New York, Advisory Committee of the Judicial Improvements Committee
- Milberg Client Development and Marketing Committee, Chair
- Milberg Hiring, Diversity, Technology, and Women’s Committees, Member